Click here to download and print a pdf of these steps.
Bokken Basic Strikes 1-5 (two-handed) with steps
1. Cut to the throat (right step)
2. Overhead Strike (left step)
3. 45° Diagonal Cut (block left & cut down, right-to-left) (right step)
4. 45° Diagonal Cut (block right & cut down, left-to-right) (left step)
5. Thrusting Motion (right step)
Bokken Advanced Strikes 6-10 (with two strikes or more)
6. Right step, cut to the throat. Shuffle, cut diagonal right-to-left. Shuffle, overhead strike. Step back one, two, three. Blood wipe.
7. Right step, reverse cut upward (right hand only). Follow blade and spin left, feet together facing away from opponent. Left hand to sword. Step to front with left foot. Right step, 45° diagonal cut right-to-left. Step back one, two, three. Blood wipe.
8. Draw bokken up, do figure-8, step into X-stance striking down. Spin left facing away from opponent. Step to front with left foot. Right step, 45° diagonal cut right-to-left. Step back one, two, three. Blood wipe.
9. Draw bokken high, standing on balls of feet. Step forward right leg, cut upward to groin in X-stance. Spin left facing away from opponent. Step to front with left foot, overhead strike, dropping to right knee. Step back one, two, three. Blood wipe.
10. Reverse grip. Draw bokken. Turn your back to opponent, placing bokken under right arm. Step backward (toward opponent) with left foot and thrust backward. Pull sword out, pivot to front in left broken-leg stance. Horizontal cut to opponent’s legs. Re-grip with right hand. Spin right on right foot turning sword overhead in right hand. Spin on left foot with spinning blood wipe (left foot back). Guard with empty right hand.